Caves Sao Joao "Porta dos Cavalieros", 2010

Caves Sao Joao "Porta dos Cavalieros", 2010

13.00

Founded by two brothers, Caves São João is the oldest company in Bairrada that has consistently been owned and managed by members of the same family. They started out in 1920 as a port producer, but when the laws changed in the 1930’s prohibiting anyone outside of OPorto from making port, the brothers focused on Bairrada table wines, and sparkling wines. The firm has predominantly sourced grapes from local growers in Bairrada and Dao, and this tradition continues today, but they also own the Quinta do Poço do Lobo vineyard estate with 35 ha, located in Bairrada which they make a significant amount of their own wines- these usually are wines they age for many years. They have several vineyard plots planted to both indigenous and international varietals there. This wine, made of Touriga Nacional, Alfrocheiro, Aragones and Jaen, undergoes traditional fermentation with temperature control for 8 days. 20% of the wine matures in French oak barrels, and the remaining 80% remains two years in bottle before going to market. On the nose, dried cherry, rose petal, tobacco, white pepper and flint. On the palate, elegant flavors of dried red berry and fresh Rainier cherry are at the core of a swirling combination of floral notes, mineral, pipe tobacco and forest floor. Balancing acidity and excellent length.

Quantity:
Add To Cart